R. Kelly is crying “fake news.”
While on his way to perform in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, the 50-year-old singer recorded a message for his fans, claiming none of his shows have been canceled.
“I want everybody around the world to know, ain’t no tours canceled, man,” he said. “All right, despite what you hear, don't believe the hype. I haven’t canceled not one show. All right, I’m ready to get it in tonight.”
Last week, it was reported that Kelly’s team had canceled four dates on his After the Party Tour—one in Los Angeles, one in Dallas, and two in Louisiana. Sources close to the artist claimed the LA stop was canceled due to a scheduling conflict, but they refused to comment about the other three shows. Other sources told TMZ the cancelations were due to poor ticket sales, likely caused by Kelly’s recent “sex cult” scandal.
The controversy began last month, when Buzzfeed published a report that accused the singer of kidnapping and sexually abusing a group of young women. Kelly and one of his alleged victims Jocelyn Savage have publicly denied these claims. Savage’s parents, however, said they're convinced their daughter has been brainwashed and held against her will.
“He doesn’t let them get away,” Joycelyn’s mother, Jonjelyn Savage, said during an interview on Atlanta-based radio station V-103. “He basically isolates them from the world.”
There were rumors Kelly would pull the plug on his tour in light of the allegations; however, he later called the sex abuse claims “a bunch of crap” and told fans he had every intention of continuing the tour. He's scheduled to perform Saturday in Detroit. According to the Detroit Free Press, tonight's show has sold out.