Not long ago, I spent a weekend with Kid Cedek in Atlanta, and it included seeing him spin at Graveyard, emcee for ETC!ETC! at TomorrowWorld, and knock out custom edits in his studio. He's an amazing dude, a great musician, and a hilarious character. The last time I was in Atlanta he grabbed me from the airport and showed me a stack of tunes that were in various stages of completion. And the whole "what the fuck is a genre" idea runs deeper than just pushing boundaries.
He takes elements from genres and places them into songs in ways that most producers simply can't. This might have something to do with why blogs seem a bit slower to cover him. His original records stand up to the tunes we see pushed heavily, but his style is a bit difficult to grasp if you can't see all of the levels. When he's showing me trap at 117 beats per minute and transition records that go back to the original tempo, I'm just smirking. He's a step ahead of the industry.
And here with the "WTFISAGENRE" mixtape, we see how eclectic his style is. A full listen from front to back shows true skill in bouncing between tempos and genres. He covers twerk, house, club, trap, moombahton, dubstep, and rap, and none of the tracks are quite within the typical lanes that those genres are known for. We also see a lot of Atlanta love with songs from Migos, Future, MUST DIE!, HeRobust, Quan, and Mayhem, and more. He's not from the city, but has fully embraced its' culture and sound.
A lot of these records are impossible to find (MUYLOCOSINMIEDO, MUST DIE!, and the Happy Colors & G-Buck collar are all unreleased, to my knowledge). The original production from Cedek himself won't be available until Friday, October 25. Give this mix a spin though; it's a diary entry from someone who is set on flipping the entire idea of genres on its head, and is marvelous for anyone who's bored of the mainstream perception of electronic dance music. And while you're at it, give a listen to this "WTF IS A MOOMBAHTON SAMPLE PACK" sampler; the pack is due out on October 16, and not only includes specially-designed sounds, synths, and melodies, but also contains tips and tricks from the man himself.
1. Hannah Montana (Kid Cedek Bootleg) - Migos
2. Paper (Original Mix) - 12th Planet x Protohype
3. Untitled (Original Mix) - Kid Cedek
4. Give It To Dem (Original Mix) - Tittsworth x Shelco Garcia & TEENWOLF
5. Ascension (IVARR Remix) - Dope Arcade
6. Bubblenobill (Original Mix) - Conway
7. 4ALL POSSE CUT - NSS
8. Worldwide (Original Mix) - Happy Colors x G-Buck
9. U.O.E.N.O. (CRNKN Remix) - Rocko
10. Feels So Good (Kid Cedek Remix) - Sonique
11. Type Of Way (Mayhem Remix) - Quan
12. Sheknowshebad (Original Mix) - HeRobust
13. You Already Know (VIP) - Kid Cedek
14. Supreme (D!RTY AUD!O Remix) - Mercer
15. Platinum Wave (Original Mix) - MUST DIE!
16. Handz Up (Jesse Slayter Remix) - Kid Cedek x Rell The Soundbender
17. Do You… (Cashmere Cat Remix) - Miguel
18. Tom Ford (Kidd Spin Clapapella Intro) - Jay-Z
19. Rave 2 Da Grave (Original Mix) - Kid Cedek
20. Bad Gyalz ft. Dreggae (Aca In/Out Edit) - Kid Cedek x Big Makk
21. Cold Feet (Original Mix) - Goldboot
22. Night Is On My Mind (Dillon Francis Remix) - Oliver
23. Handz Up (Kingman Fire Remix) - Kid Cedek x Relll The Soundbender
24. Handz Up (VIP) - Kid Cedek
25. Fumar Marley feat. Riff Raff - MUYLOCOSINMIEDO
26. Shit (Prod By Mike WiLL Made It) - Future