Rebecca Burger, a French Instagram model and lifestyle blogger, has died after a whipped cream container exploded and struck her in the chest. The pressurized whipped cream canister exploded Saturday and caused Burger to enter cardiac arrest, the Washington Post reported. Burger, 33, died in the hospital on Sunday.
"It is with great sadness we announce the death of Rebecca who died June 18th, 2017 in an accident in the home," a statement from Burger's family on Instagram said. In a separate post, the family shared a photo of the canister and urged others to use caution. "Do not use this kind of utensil in your home!" the family advised. "Several tens of thousands of defective devices are still in circulation."
Burger shared her passion for fitness, travel, and cuisine with more than 170,000 Instagram fans and nearly 60,000 Facebook followers. On her blog, Burger published photography-accompanied lifestyle writings about her travels, including a recent post on Berlin-based dining recommendations.
Fitness brand Women’s Best paid tribute to "our French athlete" Wednesday. "Rebecca was not only a great fitness figure but a generous and kind person to work with," the company said. "Please pray for her soul to rest in peace and for her family to stay strong. We will always be proud of you, Rebecca."
French authorities are now investigating the incident, the Post reported Thursday. Mulhouse prosecutors will determine if the canister's "faulty siphon," reportedly the same one that was taken off the market in February 2013, was at fault in Burger's death. "Unfortunately, there are still lots of siphons of all brands that remain potentially dangerous," a rep for Ard'time, the maker of the product, said.