UPDATED 4:53 p.m. ET: "Multiple law enforcement sources" said the suspected shooter has been identified as New Jersey-born Esteban Santiago, CNBC reported. Santiago reportedly had military ID on him at the time of his arrest.
See original below.
A suspect is in custody after a shooting that has left at least five dead at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport Friday, ABC News reported. The incident is believed to have taken place near the baggage claim area at Terminal 2, resulting in multiple deaths and at least 13 injured travelers.
Early reports regarding the shooting came from former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, who tweeted "shots have been fired" early Friday afternoon while at the airport:
People running everywhere pic.twitter.com/gbd0dfyIj8— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) January 6, 2017
At the time of publication, the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport was "closed and will be for an extended period of time." Speaking with CNN shortly after the shooting, Broward County commissioner Barbara Sharief said the suspect was believed to have acted alone. "He was a lone shooter and we have no evidence at this time that he was acting with anyone else," she said. Law enforcement officials didn't fire shots at the scene and the suspect remains "unharmed."
In a subsequent tweet, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) advised travelers to "shelter in place" due to an ongoing active shooter. The Broward Sheriff's Office added that "unconfirmed reports" of additional shots fired had been received, but offered no additional details. President Barack Obama, ABC News reported, has been briefed on the incident and "will be kept updated."
At a press conference Friday afternoon, Broward officials said "there's no second active shooter." The airport, however, remains closed.
The TSA and Broward Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to Complex's request for comment.
This story is developing.