An Australian man who allegedly dumped acid into lube dispensers at a local sex club has been arrested. The unidentified 62-year-old man has been charged with administering a poison with intent to injure or cause pain, BBC News reported. Though no serious injures were reported, club attendees have described it as a "sick" act that could have caused severe damage.
Police say the man filled lubricant dispensers with hydrochloric acid Saturday at the Aarows club in Sydney, triggering the tamper-deterring alarms. He was promptly arrested. The club bills itself as "Sydney's gay and bi social club," providing a safe and relaxed environment with multiple levels of entertainment.
Police told local reporters that a motive for the heinous act has not been uncovered. A police spokesperson speaking with the Daily Telegraph even said there was currently "no indication of hate motivation to date," which seems like an odd statement given the nature of the alleged incident. Hydrochloric acid can cause a variety of damage upon contact, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. For example, oral exposure can cause corrosion of the esophagus and stomach. Dermal contact has the potential to cause ulcers, severe burns, and scarring.
An anonymous club attendee said he had no idea what might motivate someone to do such a "sick" thing. "Hydrochloric acid is not the best sort of thing to be playing with," the club attendee told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, adding that the man's reasoning may be hard to pin down. "It could be anything really," he said. "People are perverted." The suspect is currently out on bail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance Sept. 20.