Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume
2013 Exhibitions: Print Error: Publishing in the Digital Age (October 23 - March 11)
The Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume in Paris is located next to the Place de la Concorde and holds an impressive collection of contemporary art. It was built in 1861 during Napoleon's reign and derives its name from its original purpose as tennis courts. During the 1940s, it became a place where Jewish art that was stolen by the Nazis was stored. Despite the Nazis' attempt to sell what they called "degenerate art," a curator at the museum found a way to return most of the pieces to their original owners in 1945.
In 1989, the building was renovated by architect Antoine Stinco to allow for views of the Tuileries Gardens, Place de la Concorde, and Eiffel Tower. When the museum reopened in 1991, it was annouced as "France's first national gallery of contemporary art." It has hosted monumental retrospectives by Eva Hesse, Cindy Sherman, Ed Ruscha, Jean Dubuffet, and more.