In 2009, we spent so much time putting together our retrospective of the last decade (click here for our "Best of the 2000s" series) that we almost forgot about all the memorable things that happened this year. Well, 2010 ain't here yet, so we're spending the last week looking back at all our favorite stuff, including albums, movies, video games, girls, sports moments, books, style trends, and websites. In the Complex fashion world, we saw a lot of good styles come and go, from military-inspired looks to super-preppy staples like boat shoes. Look back on all our favorites with the Top 25 Style Trends of 2009 countdown...
#25: FAIR ISLE SWEATERS
• Who said it wasn't cool to look like your grandma knitted all of your clothes? Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but during the latter part of '09 these cozy Scottish-bred sweaters were on point.
• Worn rolled up or just like jeans, khakis were a preppy denim alternative in any situation. Just make sure your cuff game is proper.
#23: BUTTON-DOWN VESTS
• Sure, these jumped the shark in '09, but in the early part of the year, vests deftly toed the line between casual and formal for fake dress-up events everywhere.
#22: FIELD JACKETS
• Military-inspired wear was another huge '09 trend, exemplified in the simple field jacket, which was tweaked into dope variations by all of your favorite brands and designers. Bang! Bang!
#21: POCKET SQUARES
• Pocket squares added flavor to any penguin-suit get-up this year, reemerging as an essential accessory in an assortment of colors and patterns. Plus, handy for wiping away the tears of the girl whose heart you just broke into a million little pieces. Awww.
HIT NEXT TO SEE THE REST OF THE COUNTDOWN! (TRENDS #20 - #16)