After the week that we all just endured thanks to Donald Sterling and his racist remarks, you would think that everyone out there would be extra sensitive when it comes to racism in sports. But last night, shortly after Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban—one of the NHL's few black players—scored a goal in double overtime to lead Montreal to a 4-3 win over the Bruins in Boston, racism reared its ugly head on Twitter with hundreds of people tweeting out the N-word and sending extremely racist shots in Subban's direction. It got so out of control that, at one point, the N-word was actually trending in the Boston area.
Just about all of those racist tweets have since been deleted from Twitter. But before they were removed, they were documented by a number of sites and, well, let's just say that they were disheartening, to say the least. Here's a small sample of the kinds of tweets that were sent out:
- "That stupid n----- doesn't belong in hockey #whitesonly."
- "Fuck PK Subban. Fucking n-----. Wish he got sold."
- "Fuck you subban you fucking lucky ass n-----!"
- "The Bruins will come back but Subban will always be a n-----"
- "FUCK YOU N----- I WOULD BE FINE IF IT WAS ANYONE ELSE FUCK YOU SUBBAN I FUCKING HATE YOU"
Disgusting, right? Sadly, this has become a bit of a trend, too. A black NHL player scores a game-winning goal—and Twitter responds to it with ridiculous amounts of racism. So while we aren't all that surprised that it happened, that doesn't make it acceptable. You're better than that, Boston. Aren't you?
[via CBC News]