Is everybody out there excited about tonight's NBA Development League Draft? Uhhhh…no? Well, we've got at least one reason for you to pay attention to it now. We're not sure why he's doing this or what he's expecting to come out of it, but Ricky Davis—yes, the Ricky Davis—has declared himself eligible for tonight's draft.
You can read the full list of eligible players over here. But the 34-year-old Davis is hands down the strangest name to appear on the draft list, especially when you consider that he has already been a part of the D-League before and was actually cut by a team who participates in the NBDL last year.
If Davis wants to try to play again, though, we say, "Why not?" In fact, we fully encourage an NBDL team to spend a draft pick on Davis. Because if you sign Davis, here's what you'll be getting:
- A guy who will do ANYTHING to get a triple-double, even if it means taking a shot at his own basket.
- A guy who will try to pull off a between-the-legs dunk in the middle of a game.
- A guy who goes by "Get Buckets," which was (still is?) his nickname during his NBA days.
- A guy who once signed with the Turish team Turk Telekom just for the hell of it.
- A guy who has also spent the last few years playing in China, France, and Puerto Rico.
- A guy who was inexplicably picked up by the Knicks for training camp this year.
So who wants him? Anyone? Anyone at all? Suddenly, the NBDL Draft just got a whole lot more interesting.
[via Adrian Wojnarowski]