#10: LUIS CASTILLO DROPS BALL VS. YANKEES
Athlete(s) Involved: Luis Castillo, New York Mets
• The entire 2009 season could be looked at as a fail for the Mets, given that by (early) July they were already out of playoff contention. It wasn't just the losing that made the soul of Mets' fans burn slow, it was how they lost. The first unassisted triple play in National league history to end a game, having this guy as a GM, and this play. With two outs in the ninth against their cross-town rivals, the easiest play you could ask for is an infield pop-up but Castillo summed up the season by dropping it like it was hot. Literally.
#9: THIERRY HENRY HANDBALL
Athlete(s) Involved: Theirry Henry, France and William Gallas, France
• You see? This is why people don't like the French. They've got dope women, good food, and a couple millenia of fly culture, and if that wasn't enough, they blatantly cheat in a World Cup qualifier, knocking a game Ireland side clear out of the tournament. Then they have the (de) gall to suggest a solution they know governing bodies would never accept. That's it, from now handball penalties are called Freedom Fries.
#8: LEBRON GAME-WINNER VS. MAGIC
Athlete(s) Involved: LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers and Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando Magic
• LeBron had a few more Queen James moments than in '09 than usual. There was the over-hyped posterization he received after he tried to confiscate the video, and his best Cam at the Rucker impression after losing the Eastern Conference final. But props are given where they're due, and unless your name is Bolt .1 second isn't a lot of time to do anything, much less win Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals. Unfortunately, he may be out of Cleveland just as fast once summer hits.
#7: ALEXANDER OVECHKIN'S GOAL ON RANGERS
Athlete(s) Involved: Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals and the New York Rangers
• Leave it on the court, give 110%, always play your best, blahblahblah. There are times in men's lives (mostly Rangers though) where it's just best to accept defeat and avoid yourself even more embarrassment. In this clip, the Rangers probably should've just gone ahead and given up about the time that Ovie first touched the puck. Of course they didn't, and now half their team's been posterized.
#6: SERENA WILLIAMS CURSES LINE JUDGE
Athlete(s) Involved: Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, US Open Line Judge
• In BDSM it's good etiquette to politely ask your partner if you can shove a tennis ball down her throat. Of course our pal Serena Williams is a good girl and she doesn't know anything about BDSM etiquette, which explains her rather brusque offer to embed a tennis ball in a line judge's trachea during a semifinal match in this year's U.S. Open. Yes, Serena lost the match as a direct result of her outburst, and ended up paying an $82,500 fine, but you'll remember her tirade forever and you've already forgotten who she played. Who? Exactly.
HIT NEXT TO SEE THE REST OF THE COUNTDOWN! (MOMENTS #5 - #1)