In 2009, we spent so much time putting together our retrospective of the last decade (click here for our "Best of the 2000s" series) that we almost forgot about all the memorable things that happened this year. Well, 2010 ain't here yet, so we're spending the last week looking back at all our favorite stuff, including albums, movies, video games, girls, sports moments, books, style trends, and websites. If you're a regular Complex reader, you already know our appreciation of sports goes beyond the glorious victories—we love it all, including the epic fails, fights, and hilarious high jinks. Look back on our favorites with the Top 25 Most Memorable Sports Moments of 2009 countdown...
#25: NATE ROBINSON SHOOTS ON THE WRONG BASKET
Athlete(s) Involved: Nate Robinson, New York Nets and Mike D'Antoni, New York Knicks Head Coach
• "Play through the whistle" is an old sports saying that coaches use to keep players from anticipating calls. Not a basketball game is played in which a player doesn't take a wild, joke shot after the whistle—it's just that they usually do it on their own basket. If Mike D'Antoni didn't really have an idea of just what kind of craziness he was getting into in New York when he took the Knicks job last year, he certainly does now. To be fair though, the Knicks were playing the Nets, so they weren't really in any danger of picking up an L anyway.
#24: BRANDON MARSHALL'S TRAINING CAMP SHENANIGANS
Athlete(s) Involved: Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos
• We all know that wide receivers are naturally the asshole position of football but there are a few like Marshall who just take it to a whole new level. Not happy with making $2.2 million a year in the NFL, why not take it out on equipment manager who's family isn't likely to see that kind of money for the next five? Sadly this isn't the worst of Marshall's fuckery.
#23: DEVIN HESTER GETS PANTSED
Athlete(s) Involved: Devin Hester, Chicago Bears and Dimitri Patterson, Philadelphia Eagles
• Horse-collar tackles were prohibited a few years back, we're assuming jock strap tackles are next.
#22: HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS SOCCER BRAWL
Athlete(s) Involved: Woonsocket and Tolman High School girls soccer teams
• D-d-d-d-damn, what's up with girls soccer these days? The Division IV Rhode Island state championship high school match broke into a hair-pulling free-for-all back in November after Woonsocket took a 5-0 lead on Tolman. We're going to have to also issue an Eyewitness News producer fail 'cause there's a haymaker at the beginning of the clip that's totally obscured by the anchorman. We'd like to see that in super slo-mo, please.
#21: LEBRON GETS DUNKED ON BY A COLLEGE PLAYER
Athlete(s) Involved: Lebron James, Cleveland Cavaliers and Jordan Crawford, Xavier
• King James got a lesson learned by Barbra Streisand long ago: if there's evidence of something that's embarrassing to you, don't make a big deal out of it. If LBJ's folks hadn't tried to embargo the video of him getting dunked on in a summer camp, the only folks that would've seen it would probably be said youngster's friends. Instead, it became an Internet sensation, and LeBron suffered yet another L over the summer.
HIT NEXT TO SEE THE REST OF THE COUNTDOWN! (MOMENTS #20 - #16)