This Sunday marks the 25th anniversary of NBA commissioner David Stern's ascension to his
throne position. There's no doubt the little dude's had a big impact on the league'it's gone from 23 teams to 30 and revenues are up something like 500 percent. How'd he do it? Complex traces his five key plays...
• Great slogans + tons of celebrities x questionable officiating (pretty sure Isiah gets away with a travel at the end of that clip)=Ka-ching!
• Sterny's got that Croat Money, German Money, Aussie Money even Sudanese Money. He's definitely got that Chinese Money locked up. Still ain't got any Arab Money, but Osama's tall as shit so who knows.
• In an effort to get rid of the pimps and the pushers and the prostitutes, Stern tried to start all over again in 2005 by instituting a strict dress code for players arriving and departing games as well as conducting official interviews. The code banned throwback jerseys, jeans, hats, doo-rags, large jewelry, sneakers and Timbs. Stern adamantly denied rumors that he enacted the ban to revive the career of Pee Wee Herman's stylist.
KEEPING HIS HAND IN MARK CUBAN'S POCKET
• Forget a Cuban embargo, Stern now fines the Dallas Mavericks owner every other Thursday.
CREATING MICHAEL JORDAN
• Feb 1, 1984: Stern becomes commissioner; four months later, MJ's taken no. 3 in the NBA Draft. Coincidence? We think not.