The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams is hopping back into the director's chair for another Star Wars entry. Abrams will direct and co-write the currently untitled Star Wars: Episode IX, Lucasfilm announced Tuesday.

"With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy," Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm boss, said in a statement. Abrams will pen the script with Argo's Chris Terrio.

Last week, Lucasfilm announced that original director Colin Trevorrow had exited the film. "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX," the studio said, following months of rumors of the Jurassic World director's exit. "Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon."

Lucasfilm's decision to bring in Abrams for the final film in the trilogy is definitely a safe bet, given that Force Awakens mostly pleased longtime fans and bagged a Disney-approved amount of money at the box office. But is Abrams an exciting choice for Episode IX? Arguably, no. But I digress.

Next up for the Star Wars universe is Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi, due Dec. 15. According to Deadline's sources, Johnson—whose previous credits include Breaking Bad and Brick—was reportedly offered the Episode IX gig before Abrams but turned it down.