The Center for Disease Control revealed that it exposed employees to viruses and bacteria considered "dangerous" twice recently. 

According to the Daily Intelligencer, one instance occurred last month, when a group of scientists (75, to be specific) ended up being exposed to anthrax without any protective gear because they were told the bacteria was dead. Turns out it wasn't. Oops. 

Another involved a common flu sample that had been spiked with bird flu was "inappropriately sent" to the Department of Agriculture. This happened in March, but the flub wasn't made public until today.

The end result? Officials are closing the CDC's anthrax and flu labs for the time being. This is not the type of thing that you can just apologize for and sweep under the rug.

[via Daily Intelligencer]

Send tips, photos and news developments to cityguidetips@complex.com.