A man from the lovely state of Florida was rescued from a fire he accidentally started over the weekend, all because he decided to remedy his bug infestation problem with flames.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that authorities responded to a call about an apartment fire around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. A survey of the man's apartment revealed exactly why he had a bug problem: He lived in squalor. Here's how the officer described the scene: 

"There was trash and empty beer cans covering the majority of the floor in the living area and the kitchen," the officer wrote in his report. "The bedroom where most of the fire damage occurred was also filled with trash and cans."

The man explained that he started the fire to burn the pests invading his home and computer (regarding the latter, does he mean actual bugs, or viruses?). The man was hospitalized under Florida's Baker Act because authorities agreed he was a potential threat to "himself and others," so who knows. 

The Sentinel notes that the case was forwarded to an arson investigator, but no criminal charges will be filed.

[via Orlando Sentinel]

RELATED: The 25 Worst Things to Happen in Florida in 2013 
RELATED: The 25 Worst Things to Happen in Florida in 2012