A woman who was in the midst of enjoying her soup at a Queens restaurant discovered an unwanted ingredient: a rather large insect just flouting about, menacing presence and all. 

Natalie Estrella was reportedly eating at Far Rockaway's Mi Mundo Restaurant yesterday when she spotted the bug. Is it a roach? A silverfish? Something worse? Anyway, she alerted a waiter, who disposed of the soup, then explained that the insects are "all over the pipes" of the restaurant. How comforting. 

Estrella made a wise visit to St. John's Episcopal Hospital, where she received treatment for "insect ingestion." Gothamist excavated some Department of Health facts about Mi Mundo Restaurant, and they're nothing to be proud of:

The restaurant, listed at Nuevo Mundo Restaurant on the Health Department's website, boasts a Grade Pending with 44 violation points from an inspection in December of last year. Of the citations, the most telling includes "filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies."

According to Estrella, the lawsuit is on its way. What's up with people finding disgusting things that they did not order in their food this week?

[via Gothamist]