One of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's aides who was subpoenaed in the brewing George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal has resigned. 

Christina Renna's lawyer confirmed to Politico that she resigned on Friday, becoming the second person from the governor's office to quit since January. However, in a statement provided by Renna's attorney, Henry Klingeman, she said her resignation was not motivated by the scandal. "This reflects a decision I have been considering since shortly after the election," Renna wrote.

"I have spent almost four years working hard for a governor I continue to respect and admire. The transition from term one to term two is a natural time to pursue an opportunity in the private sector," she added. 

According to Klingeman, Renna, Christie's director of intergovernmental affairs, was not fired. Her exit comes after Christie fired his former deputy chief of staff Bridget Kelly last month when subpoenaed documents alluded to Kelly being instrumental in four-day lane closures in Fort Lee, N.J., where Christie aides were unsuccessful in getting support from the town's Democratic mayor during the governor's re-election campaign.

On Friday, the New York Times reportedt that a letter from the lawyer of former Port Authority official David Wildstein which said there was evidence suggesting that Christie knew about the lane closures before he acknowledged that he did. Christie has denied this claim vehemently and Politico acquired an email in which the governor's office attacked Wildstein's competence and character.

This will continue to get uglier by the day.

[via Politico]