In a horrific freak accident, a man burned to death at his Staten Island home yesterday when his cigarette lit his oxygen tank on fire. 

According to the New York Post, 51-year-old Richard Aguilar was smoking at Roseland home when the cigarette ignited the tank, engulfing his recliner in flames. His husband, Thomas Krisko, discovered his body. "We were both taking naps," Krisko told the Post. "I got up from the bed, I came into the living room. I found him in the chair."

Aguilar was rushed to Staten Island Hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than two hours later. "We couldn’t get him to stop smoking," Krisko confessed, mournfully. Aguilar was addicted to nicotine and suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The couple had been married for just over two years. 

[via New York Post]