An early morning explosion has left two Brooklyn teenagers dabbling in marijuana's "wax" trend with severe injuries.

According to authorities, 19-year-old Anthony Gamble and 17-year-old Gabriella Katanov suffered second and third-degree burns following the 2:20 a.m. explosion inside of a Brooklyn garage. The New York Daily News said the explosion occurred when one of them lit a cigarette while soaking a 30-gallon tub of marijuana with butane. 

Both Gamble and Katanov were rushed to Staten Island University hospital where they're in serious, yet stable condition. Katanov's mother, Luba Poukhova, said their injuries were devastating: "Their lungs are good . . . but from the waist up, all burned. Her hands, too. She could be in the hospital for a year. She needs surgery. The doctors said it will get worse every day."

Police reportedly found a large quantity of marijuana, as well as marijuana plants, plastic storage containers, glass pans and butane inside of the garage. The Daily News said charges against Gamble and Katanov were pending.

Wax is a popular marijuana concentrate because of its potency. The process of making it involves the extraction of THC, which often involves highly-flammable chemicals, thus making it dangerous under certain circumstances.

[via New York Daily News]

RELATED: Everything You Need to Know About Wax