Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 - 4 to 5 pound Duck, next and giblets removed from cavity.
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon allspice
1 pound assorted red and sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch dice
For the glaze:
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup Crown Royal Maple Finished Whisky
1. Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet fitted with a rack with 1 cup of water poured in the bottom.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper and allspice.
3. Wash the inside and outside of the duck and pat completely dry with paper towels. Score the skin all over with a sharp knife, careful not to cut too far into the flesh. Rub both sides of the duck with allspice mixture and sprinkle any remaining in the inside of the duck.
4. Place the duck on the baking sheet breast side down and roast for 35 minutes.
5. While the duck is roasting, in a small saucepan mix the balsamic vinegar and Crown Royal Maple Finished Whisky. Bring to a bowl and reduce by ¼.
6. After 35 minutes, remove the duck and prick the skin with the tip of your knife. Carefully remove the duck from the rack to a cutting board and pour out the rendered fat. Arrange the potatoes on the bottom of the roasting pan, replace the rack and the duck breast side up.
7. Generously brush the glaze all over the duck and return to the oven to roast for another 35 minutes.
8. After 35 minutes, remove the pan, flip one more time and brush the glaze one more over the duck. Return to the oven to roast for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
9. Once finished cooking, let rest tented with foil for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with the duck fat roasted potatoes and additional glaze over the carved duck.