Last night, a Kansas City restaurant burned down following a natural gas explosion that witnesses say was "like an earthquake." 16 people were injured, and one person has yet to be accounted for.

According to authorities, a contractor working by JJ's Restaurant struck a natural gas line and customers reported smelling gas. The odor was so strong that JJ's cancelled all reservations for the evening, closed the kitchen and shuttled patrons out of the establishment.

When the explosion occurred around 6 p.m., it shattered windows in the immediate area and reportedly sent shockwaves a mile through the city. About 100 firefighters were called to manage the four-alarm blaze, and it was finally controlled by 8 p.m. Police have deployed cadaver dogs to locate the missing woman.

[via Gawker]

LIKE COMPLEX CITY GUIDE ON FACEBOOK