As expected, arrests have been made after the shocking video of two young girls being forced to fight appeared on various websites earlier this week. Two girls, ages 14 and 15, were arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Gothamist published the video on Tuesday, and the mother of one of the girls seen in the video approached police after seeing it on the news.
According to the NYPD, investigators are still trying to identify others involved with the fight and the video. They have determined that it was recorded at Edgar Allen Poe Park in the Bronx over Christmas Break. ABC7 reports that the fight was originally between two older girls over candy, and they used their younger sisters—ages 6 and 7—to sort things out.
NBC New York has more:
Police said the 17-year-old sister apparently felt disrespected when the 12-year-old sister of the girl in the black coat accidentally bumped into an older teen while picking up candy that had been thrown on the ground at Edgar Allan Poe Park in the Bronx a week prior to the filmed fight.
The forced battle happened over the holiday break at the park on Grand Concourse, police said. The 12-year-old sister tried to intervene, according to police and a witness, but she was held back by the older teens.
Thought the names of the victims are being withheld at the moment, the 17-year-old girl has reportedly been questioned and police are still searching for a 19-year-old girl who was involved.
LIKE COMPLEX CITY GUIDE ON FACEBOOK