City: Deerfield Beach, FL
Date: October 2012

In October, 32-year-old Edward Archbold died just minutes after winning an insect-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store. After being crowned the winner, Archbold became ill and reportedly began vomiting up cockroaches before passing out.

The Broward County Medical Examiner says that his official cause of death was "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents." In other words, he choked to death on roach parts, which not only carry bacteria, but are essentially like swallowing razor blades.