Topping the building on the corner or 14th Street and Irving Place is New York’s original “Tower of Light.” Built in 1929, the lantern atop the 26-story structure marks the presence of the city’s largest utility company: Con Edison. Originally the Consolidated Gas Company, a conglomeration of smaller local gas light industries, the company slowly bought out local electrical companies (including New York Edison) when it became apparent that electricity had a brighter future than gas for lighting homes.