Ever since Megaupload was shut down by the Feds in January, we've been hearing about the next project that it's founder, Kim Dotcom, plans to launch. Dotcom said the project, simply called Mega, would be bigger, and better, and revolutionize the way we share media. He also said it would launch this year.
The man Wired called the "most hunted man on the Internet" today announced via Twitter that the new service will launch on January 19, 2013. Exactly one year after Megaupload was shut down by U.S. authorities for copyright infringement.
Reports say Mega will be a file-hosting service that encrypts all files before they are uploaded. Only the uploader would have the key to unlock the file. So, according to Wired, even if the servers were raided all the files would "be meaningless without the key."
Despite still going through a criminal trial, Dotcom said the coding for the new service is nearly complete, server hardware had already been ordered, and that investors were lining up.
We'll see what happens.
[via Torrent Freak]