Diablo III, like Diablo II before it, has a secret joke world that can only be accessed by collecting a series of inconspicuous items and making them into a key. Diablo II brought players to maddeningly difficult "cow level". Diablo III has a little more relaxed hidden world, the almost painfully colorful "Whimsyshire."
Like the cow world, which was created in response to rumors about a hidden world full of murderous cows in the original Diablo (but didn't actually exist), Whimsyshire was designed with fans in mind. The designers came up with the idea for the My Little Pony—esque world two years ago after fans complained that Diablo III looked "too colorful" based on a few screenshots.
Tired of reading about it!? The video above, created by the folks at Force Strategy Gaming, shows you how to check out Whimsyshire for yourself. If you'd prefer to read how to do it, we've got step-by-step instructions below:
Step 1 (Acquire the following items):
- The Black Mushroom from Cathedral level 1 in Act 1
- Leorics Shinbone from the fireplace in Leorics Manor in Act 1.
- Liquid Rainbow in a Mysterious Cave from a Mysterious chest in the Oasis Act 2. To enter the cave you must find a random spawn vendor in the Oasis.
- Wirts Bell from a vendor in the Bazaar Act 2. This item costs 100,000 gold.
- Gibbering Gemstone drops from Chiltara a rare spawn in the Frozen Cave Act 3. This is in the same area that you destroy the ballistics.
- The recipe for the Staff of Herding drop of Izual in Act 4.
Step 2 (Build the Staff):
- Using all the items found above, the recipe for the Staff of Herding, and 50,000 gold. This is built at the Blacksmith.
Step 3 (Enjoy):
- Take the staff to the open red glowing crevasse on Old Tristram Road in Act 1, use the staff and accept the quest.
Unlike the cow level from Diablo II, Whimsyshire isn't an especially difficult area, so there's no need to worry about if your characters are ready for it. Just jump in and enjoy.