Video games sales in 2011 have been lackluster when compared to last year's totals with July and August's totals being abysmal. Last month, the industry recovered quite a bit, but still ended up with a 6% overall decline in sales compared to September 2010 (1% drop in software, 9% drop in hardware.) But considering that video game sales in August were 26% off the pace year over year, the outlook is beginning to look brighter.
The NFL lockout pushed the release of Madden NFL 12 into September and the popular title lead the sales for the month. Gears of War 3 took second place in software sales and while it's not shocking, it's certainly impressive given that it's an Xbox 360 exclusive. Dead Island scores the bronze, proving once again that people are not sick of hacking apart hordes of brain-starved zombies. On the hardware side, the Xbox 360 sold the most units in September, followed by Playstation 3 and the Nintendo 3DS.
Top 10 best-selling games September 2011:
- Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
- Gears of War 3 (360)
- Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)
- FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS)
- NHL 12 (360, PS3)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)
- Resistance 3 (PS3)
- Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
- Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine (360, PS3, PC)
[via Playstation Lifestyle]