Christina Ricci is all about women's lib.
In the new horror thriller After.Life, a young woman (Christina Ricci) wakes from a car accident to find a creepy funeral director (Liam Neeson) hovering over her, preparing her body for burial. He tries to convince her that she's dead and just doesn't realize it yet, and that he's the only person who can communicate with her, but she gets the nagging suspicion that he's really a sicko who's holding her captive to fulfill his perverse fantasies and bury her alive. Which is it? You'll have to watch to find out. In the meantime, we've got 15 captivity movies that we know for certain are highly fucking disturbed. Read on for the dark details.
BLACK SNAKE MOAN (2006)
• After finding a badly beaten young girl (Christina Ricci) whose nymphomania masks a lifetime of sexual and verbal abuse, an old black bluesman (Samuel L. Jackson) helps save her soul...by chaining her scantily clad body to a radiator in his home. Pardon us, y'all. We need to go check the definition of "Southern hospitality" again.
BOXING HELENA (1993)
• Obsessed with his former jumpoff (Sherilyn Fenn), a surgeon (Julian Sands) amputates her limbs as needed to keep her in his mansion. It almost makes you wish the title referred to punching women. Almost.
THE COLLECTOR (1965)
• In this creepy classic, a withdrawn man (Terence Stamp) graduates from collecting butterflies, a practice that other kids mocked him for, to "collecting" a woman (Samantha Eggar) he's been stalking and locking her in his basement. Now that is what you call bugging out!
• When two horny teenage outsiders realize that the naked woman they've found chained to a table in an abandoned mental asylum is an immortal corpse, one of them keeps her there to as a sex object to get his rocks off whenever and however he wants to. The notion that necrophilia couldn't be more vile? Dead that.
IN A GLASS CAGE (1987)
• A mysterious young man who witnesses a pedophile Nazi doctor murdering a boy and paralyzing himself in an attempted suicide plunge, takes advantage of the old man's confinement to an iron lung to sexually abuse him and force him to watch as he reenacts heinous deeds discovered in the cripple's diary. If it's possible to feel for a torturous, murderous Nazi pedophile...you are a sick bastard.
• A family of cannibal Nazis capture, torture, and kill a group of young French thieves with the intent that one of the girls shall marry the patriarch, a former SS officer and war criminal, and give birth to the new Aryan master race. The rest, we presume, were to be served at the reception buffet.
SALO, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM (1975)
• Fascist libertines in Nazi-controlled northern Italy kidnap 18 teenagers and spend the next four months subjecting them to extensive, imaginative, and extremely graphic physical, mental, and sexual torture. Hey, if you want the title 120 Days of Sodom you've gotta earn that shit!
• A quiet young woman auditioning for a film role turns out to be a jealous serial killer who tortures and dismembers male suitors and, if they're lucky, allows them to live a while in a sack and eat her vomit out of a dog bowl. Now that's how you bag a dude, ladies!
THE INCREDIBLE TORTURE SHOW, OR BLOODSUCKING FREAKS (1976)
• A theater director and his midget assistant put on S&M and snuff shows for audience members who are unaware that the naked women on stage are kidnapped captives who are not acting but actually being tortured and murdered for their entertainment. What's considerably less shocking is that this guy directed it.
• We don't dare give away the twist to Chan-wook Park's brilliant revenge flick, so let's just say that when a man is imprisoned in a hotel room for 15 years without explanation it'll fuck with his family for generations to come.
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)
• Sexually confused serial killer Buffalo Bill abducts chunky chicks, then starves them in a dry well before killing and skinning them so he can sew himself a woman suit. We haven't been able to stomach the term "hit the skins" since.
• Sadistic serial killers with mommy molestation issues abduct a model (Elisha Cuthbert), confine her to a cell, and ripen her for physical torture by forcing her to watch greatest hit tapes, like that time they melted a chick's face off with sulfuric acid. Shazaam, we just got an idea for the next season of America's Next Top Model!
PULP FICTION (1994)
• Bring. Out. The. Gimp. If we need to say any more, you should be dressed in a leather bondage suit and given some time in a boxed cage to think about where your life went wrong.
THE SINFUL DWARF (1973)
• A perverted dwarf chains beautiful young women up in the attic of his mom's boarding house and gets them hooked on heroin. When it comes to disturbing dwarfsploitation, this movie refuses to come up short!
AN AMERICAN CRIME (2007)
• While caring for the children of carnival workers, an impoverished mother (Katherine Keener) with several kids of her own takes out her many frustrations on the elder daughter (Ellen Page) by whipping, burning, and branding her, as well as locking her in the basement, where neighborhood kids are invited to join in the abuse. Nearly as nauseating as Diablo Cody's dialogue in Juno.
CLICK FOR MORE MOVIE POSTS!