When Raekwon dropped his classic solo debut, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..., back in August 1995, the first 10,000 copies of the cassette version were on a purple tape. As hip-hop heads know full well, the tapes have gone on to become collectors' items.
And today, the folks at Get On Down have re-released the purple tape version of OB4CL as part of a limited deluxe offering. There are only 1,000 copies available and you can purchase one now at Get On Down's site. Below, you can find out exactly what resides in the deluxe packaging.
- The set weighs four pounds and is housed in a premium, glass-top, “piano lacquer,” 4-inch-tall black display case with gold-colored hardware, embossed white-on-black Raekwon logo and “The Purple Tape” placard on front
- Cassette only: actual Purple Tape (with full audio from original album), with multi-panel “J-card” fold-out featuring original cassette artwork
- 32-page, hard-cover liner notes book, including text by Brian Coleman (featuring an in-depth interview with and track-by-track reminisces by Raekwon); artwork from original Only Built 4 Cuban Linx album; and reprinted graphics from original Loud/RCA promotional singles
- Premium, glossy 24” x 24” promotional poster (from original Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 1995 Loud/RCA campaign)
- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx sticker