We've all been there. No one wants a huge spider in their home, unless they're one of those weird people who like to keep them in tanks. That's why we can't help but feel at least a little sympathy for a group of Redding, California residents who almost burned down their entire apartment block in an attempt to kill a huge spider. 

USA Today reports Battalion Chief Rob Pitt as saying that the fire in the California apartment block was caused when one of the residents tried to kill a spider with a torch lighter. The spider, along with the decision to use a torch lighter, would go on to cause absolute havoc. The wolf spider (don't Google it until you want nightmares) then scurried away to a nearby mattress, setting it on fire.

The residents managed to extinguish the fire on the mattress, but not before it spread to their flag collection and the drapes in the bedroom. All in all, the flaming spider incident caused around $11,000 in damages. Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to the attic and the rest of the apartment block, and all the residents in the building escaped unharmed. It took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire.

The apartment housed three residents, including caretaker Lyndsey Wisegarver, who said they were thinking of moving out before the incident happened. "We'll make it work," she told USA Today.