West 57th Street, between 5th and 7th Avenues, was once home to numerous piano showrooms. The Steinways built their elegant hall, in the shadows of Carnegie, in 1925. Preceding them was the lesser known American Piano Company, perhaps best known for their Player Pianos. The company was originally founded in Baltimore and merged with Boston manufacturer Chickering & Sons and a slew of Rochester piano companies. By 1923, it was clear that this new Rochester based consortium would need a New York City presence in proximity to the leading musical venue, Carnegie Hall.
LIKE COMPLEX CITY GUIDE ON FACEBOOK