Cockroach Eating Contest Winner Choked to Death on "Arthropod Body Parts"

Cockroach Eating Contest Winner Choked to Death on "Arthropod Body Parts"

32-year-old Edward Achrbold died last month just minutes after winning a live insect eating contest at a reptile store in Deerfield Beach, FL. It's still unclear how many cockroaches and worms Archbold ate, but he reportedly devoured "handfulls." After winning an $850 python, he collapsed in the parking lot and died. Now, an autopsy has revealed his official cause of death.

According to the Broward County Medical Examiner, Archbold's official cause of death was "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents." More specifically: "findings of airway obstruction by the arthropod body parts." 

According to the Sun Sentinel, insect experts warn against consuming live roaches because they carry bacteria and have spiny legs. In other words, it's like swallowing several small, sharp objects.

[via Gothamist]

Tags: florida, edward-archbold
blog comments powered by Disqus