The Surrogate’s Courthouse for New York County (31 Chambers Street) is a Beaux Arts building located across the street from the principal Municipal Building in Downtown Manhattan. Considered one of the finest examples of the style built in New York City, the building was completed in 1907 as part of the City Beautiful movement of the early 20th Century, which spawned numerous structures in the surrounding area. The original plan was for the building to serve as the new Hall of Records, to replace a smaller outdated facility within City Hall Park. Though the original design included plans for the courtrooms of the Surrogate Court, it was only renamed for this function in 1962. Incidentally, it still houses the city’s Municipal Archives.