School: Grambling State University
Location: Grambling, LA
Grambling State University opened on November 1, 1901 as the
Colored Industrial and Agricultural School. It was organized in 1896 by a group
of African-American farmers who wanted to organize and operate a school for
African-Americans in their region of the state. The school is named after P.G. Grambling, a sawmill owner who had
donated the parcel of land where the school was constructed. In 1974 it
became Grambling State University.